Certified Brain Injury Specialist
The Brain Injury Association of America's Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists (CBIS) offers a brain injury certification program for direct care staff and professionals with three options:
- Certified Brain Injury Specialist
- Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainer
- Provisional Certified Brain Injury Specialist
To become certified, you must demonstrate experience in the field and pass a written examination.
- Applicants must have had 500 hours of currently verifiable direct contact experience with an individual or individuals with brain injury (includes stroke).
- Experience can be paid employment and/or academic internship.
- The qualifying experience must have included formal supervision or have been conducted while the applicant operated under a professional license. Volunteer work does not qualify.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Official ACBIS training is provided by Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainers (CBIST) and is offered at many Brain Injury Association state affiliate conferences and events and through many service providers across the country. Training is not required to sit for the examination; you may complete self-study if you wish.
The Brain Injury Association of Virginia offers CBIS review opportunities.
Options include accessing 5 recorded training webinars for up to one year from purchase. These webinars are approximately 1 hour each and review each chapter in preparation for the test. The cost is $250 to purchase access. To purchase complete the form linked below - CBIS Support Form.
Group rates are available and we also offer "live virtual" review sessions. To inquire about a review session, group rate or other review options please complete the form linked below - CBIS Support Form and a staff member will be in touch soon.