Looking for a support group?
Living with a brain injury can be lonely. It helps to know you are not alone - whether you are an individual living with a brain injury or a family caregiver. Many people who go to a support group express relief in finally finding others who “get it.”
Read below for more benefits of attending a support group and what you can expect at your first meeting.
Benefits of a Support Group
People with brain injury can:
- Be accepted for who they are now – not for who they were before
- Learn information that is relevant and delivered in a way they understand
- Get to express feelings in a place where they are supported, accepted, and understood
- Provide help to others and in doing so feel better about themselves and increase self-confidence
- Have the opportunity to practice social skills with people who will be OK with “slip-ups”
Family members and loved ones of someone with a brain injury can:
- Find a forum for problem-solving
- Get a better handle on managing cognitive & behavioral changes
- Have a place to talk about their individual and family's adjustment issues
- Learn more about survivor adjustment
When You Go
- Give a group at least two visits to decide if it’s for you. The mix of people who show up at any given meeting will influence the feel of the get-together.
- Introduce yourself to the leader or facilitator and let them know if you have any special needs such as difficulty speaking, hearing or if you just feel shy.
- Try more than one group if you have a choice in your community. Every group has its own style.
Support groups are found all around Virginia and have been established and are run by persons with brain injury, family, professionals and staff from other organizations serving people with brain injury. Although these groups receive technical assistance from BIAV, they are independent from us and do not necessarily reflect the views or official positions of BIAV. Only groups run by BIAV staff are affiliated with BIAV.
If you find there isn’t a group in your area and you would like to start one, please contact Christine Baggini at BIAV: 804-355-5748 or email@example.com.