Brain injury is a complicated diagnosis to treat, and it requires additional education beyond what most professionals encounter in school. This course will cover:
- An overview of brain injury, the anatomy of the brain and what happens when it is injured.
- Medical and physical complications, neurocognitive issues.
- Psychosocial challenges, and special populations (e.g. families, kids, veterans).
- Strategies for providing supports to persons served, with a special emphasis on the Virginia system of care for those with brain injury.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Understand brain anatomy and the pathophysiology of mild, moderate and severe traumatic and non-traumatic brain injury
- Identify medical, physical, cognitive, neurobehavioral and psychosocial sequela of brain injury
- Recognize brain injury in special populations (e.g. children, the military) and with unique considerations (disorders of consciousness, family/cultural/sexuality/gender issues)
- Learn treatment philosophies and approaches to rehabilitation
- Learn at least 3 communication, behavior or treatment intervention strategies
- Discover local resources to help serve persons with TBI
Self-paced online course. Upon completion of the course and passing the final test with a score of 80% or higher, a certificate will be provided.
Accessing Virginia Brain Injury Professional Certificate Course
- To sign up as an individual to take the online course choose the Individual Registration access below.
- To purchase access to the online course for someone other than yourself or a group choose "Want to Sign up A Group?" below. This will allow you to purchase access codes that can be distributed to your staff to access the online course. More about Access Codes.
- FEATURE! A discount is available if you purchase 10 or more access codes!
- VCU, Continuing Education Units are available for course completion. Access CEUs.
- If you decide to purchase a course please view our Course User Guide for tips and information about navigating courses.
Want to Sign Up a Group or Access for Someone Other than Yourself?
- DISCOUNT! Buy 10 or more access codes for $150 per person!
This project is supported through state general funds (Contract #16-002A) administered by the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS).