Brain injury is a complicated diagnosis to treat, and it requires additional education beyond what most professionals encounter in school. This course will cover an overview of brain injury, the anatomy of the brain and what happens when it is injured, medical and physical complications, neurocognitive issues, psychosocial challenges, and special populations (e.g. families, kids, veterans). It will also offer strategies for providing supports to persons served, with a special emphasis on the Virginia system of care for those with brain injury.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Understand brain anatomy and the pathophysiology of mild, moderate and severe traumatic and non-traumatic brain injury
- Identify medical, physical, cognitive, neurobehavioral and psychosocial sequela of brain injury
- Recognize brain injury in special populations (e.g. children, the military) and with unique considerations (disorders of consciousness, family/cultural/sexuality/gender issues)
- Learn treatment philosophies and approaches to rehabilitation
- Identify at least 3 communication, behavior or treatment intervention strategies
- Discover local resources to help serve persons with brain injury
Self-paced online course. Completion with a score of 80% or higher generates a certificate.
Accessing Virginia Professional Certificate Course
- To sign up as an individual to take the online course, choose the Individual Registration access below.
- To purchase access to the online course for someone other than yourself or a group of participants choose "Want to Sign Up a Group?" below. This will allow you to purchase access codes that can be distributed to your staff to access the online course. More about Access Codes.
- FEATURE! A discount is available if you purchase 10 or more access codes!
- VCU, Continuing Education Units are available for course completion. Access CEUs.
- If you decide to purchase a course please view our Course User Guide for tips and information about navigating courses.
Want to Sign Up a Group or Access for Someone Other than Yourself?
- DISCOUNT! Buy 10 or more access codes for $150 per person!
This project is supported through state general funds (Contract #16-002A) administered by the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS).